Bachelor of Science In Environmental Science
Do you have a passion for protecting the environment? What about a desire for providing efficient and necessary clean water and waste disposal systems for underprivileged communities around the world? Or studying endangered species and helping maintain their natural habitats and, ultimately, their survival? CBU’s Bachelor of Science in environmental science is designed for students who have a desire to solve environmental challenges and be involved in their solutions.
At CBU, you will learn from professors who are dedicated to their students. You will have opportunities to work closely with faculty members and assist with research projects. This interaction will help you in choosing a career goal that fits your strengths and helps realize your goals. Many of our students also participate in clubs that our faculty advise, such as environmental science and biology clubs. They offer a wide range of fun-filled and academic events, including field trips, guest speakers and community service.
If you are wondering what you can do with an environmental science major,whatcanidowiththismajor.com is a great resource.
An Environmental Science Minor is also available.
- Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competency in environmental science comparable to national standards in biology.
- Critically analyze and discuss scientific journal articles.
- Critically analyze and discuss selected contemporary and/or controversial issues in environmental science, enabling them to be informed citizens and participants in the public debate and discourse involving these issues.
- Demonstrate proficiency in accurately conveying scientific data both orally and in writing.
- Career Opportunities
- Environmental Scientist
- Solid Waste Management
- Soil Scientist
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Air and Water Quality Management
- Agricultural Science
- Land & Water Conservation
- Fishery & Wildlife Management
- Federal/State/County/City Agent - EPA, USDA, DOE, USFS, etc.
- Parks and Outdoor Recreational Director
- Environmental Law
- Planning: Building/Zoning and Land Use
- Environmental Educator: Secondary Education, Community Colleges, and Colleges/Universities
Environmental Science Major (63 units) BS
Lower Division Requirements
BIO114 GENERAL BOTANY WITH LABBIO146 GENERAL BIOLOGY I WITH LABBIO148 GENERAL BIOLOGY II WITH LAB
CHE115 GENERAL CHEMISTRY I WITH LAB
CHE125 GENERAL CHEMISTRY II WITH LAB
ENV110 INTRO TO ENVIRO SCIENCE WITH LAB
MAT145 MATHEMATICAL METHODS NAT SCIENCE
STA144 INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICS
Upper Division Requirements
BIO302 ECOLOGY WITH LAB
ENV360 ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMISTRY WITH LAB
ENV380 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE SEMINAR
ENV390 STEWARDSHIP OF THE ENVIRONMENT
ENV450 ENVRMNTL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY W/LAB
ENV470 ADV ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE W/LAB
Upper Division Electives
Twelve (12) units from the following
BIO305 MICROBIOLOGY WITH LABBIO313 GENETICS
CHE321 ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY WITH LAB
CHE470 INSTRUMENTAL ANALYSIS
ENV370 SOIL AND WATER
ENV400 SPECIAL TOPICS IN ENVRNMNTL SCI
ENV400L SPECIAL TPCS IN ENVRNMTL SCI LAB
ENV490 RESRCH IN ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
PSC451 ADVANCED GEOSCIENCE WITH LAB
SCI412 TOPICS MARINE SCIENCE