Library Adds Dynamed to Roster of Nursing and Health Sciences Databases
This summer, the library added Dynamed, the most up-to-date clinical reference tool.
Designed to support evidence-based decision-making at the point of care, Dynamed provides
authoritative information to help guide clinical practice, updated daily from peer-reviewed
sources. If you're a nursing or health sciences student, you're definitely going to
want to check it out!
Also available is the Dynamed mobile app, available for iOS and Android.
New Databases and E-Journals
Whether you're looking for TV news clips, aids to singers' diction or peer reviewed
health sciences literature, our new databases have you covered:
- NBC Learn Higher Ed and NBC Learn K-12 are both collections of news clips from NBC News from the past and present, over
18,000 of them. The Higher Ed platform helpfully organizes them by academic discipline,
while K-12 maps them to state curriculum standards.
- SingersBabel provides a set of tools to aid singers in their pronunciation and diction. These
tools include pronunciation guides and audio readings for German, French, Latin and
English vocal repertoire, as well as language sound sets for each phoneme in English,
French and German. With SingersBabel, a singer can become comfortable singing in a
variety of languages.
- ScienceDirect Health and Life Sciences E-Journals - We've also added over 1,300 academic e-journals in the health and life sciences
from Elsevier, with all issues from the last twenty years up through the present.
They're all available now in the ScienceDirect database, and also discoverable in OneSearch
New E-Resources Available
We've added a veritable boatload of new electronic resources, including:
- New JSTOR Collections - Arts & Sciences III, Arts & Sciences VII and Arts & Sciences X, including the backfiles
of seminal academic journals in film studies, folklore, performing arts, religion,
architecture, history, political science, sociology, art history, literature, business,
education and public administration.
- Cochrane Collection - These databases, including the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, comprise
the core of evidence-based practice across all medical and allied health fields.
- Wiley E-books - Thousands of new e-books are available now from top academic imprint John Wiley
& Sons. These are discoverable now in both OneSearch and the library catalog (Webcat).
- Business Expert Press - 160 introductory e-books on important business topics like business statistics,
negotiation and sales technology.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online - Education - We've added an authoritative and up-to-date collection of bibliographies on education
to go alongside our collection of bibliographies on psychology. Grad students (especially), check them out!
Celebrate National Library Week
April 12-18 is National Library Week! Here's how we're celebrating:
- Game Night @ the Library, Friday April 17, 6 - 8:30 PM - Come enjoy board games & snacks. Everyone's welcome!
- Overdue fine forgiveness - This week only, we're forgiving overdue fines. All you need to do is ask!
- Staff Picks - We've picked some of our favorite library materials to recommend, so check out
the posters, then check out the books (or movies)!
More study spaces, more PC workstations
Can't find a spot to study? We're very happy to announce the addition of twelve additional,
brand new PC workstations and over twenty additional seats for individual studying.
Come learn with us!
E-Resources Update: Six new databases, tens of thousands of new e-books
The library is finishing up the year strong, with a significant expansion of our
database offerings, including:
- Art Source is a large database for finding articles in the fields of art, architecture, graphic
design, film and other related subject areas. It includes articles from over 640 magazines
- The Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals is the standard index to journal articles about architecture.
- Classical Scores Library includes tens of thousands of authoritative scores. Scores you find on the open web
can be full of errors, so look here first.
- Communication and Mass Media Complete provides full-text journal articles from over 500 journals in communication, mass
media and related fields.
- Criminal Justice Abstracts contains more than bibliographic 400,000 records for articles in areas related to
criminal justice and criminology.
- Psychotherapy.net is a database for streaming video related to counseling and therapy, many of which
include recordings of therapy sessions (actual or re-created). Currently includes
90 videos from influential therapists like Aaron Beck, Marsha Linehan, Carl Rogers
and Albert Ellis.
- We've also recently added over 20,000 e-books to the ebrary database, and nearly 4,000
e-books in the humanities from the American Council of Learned Societies. All of these e-books are discoverable both via OneSearch or the library catalog