Linn Carothers, Ph.D.
Professor of Mathematics Program Director, Math, Applied Statistics and Physics
Office Phone: (951) 343-4961 E-mail: email@example.com Office Location: James Building, 472 Office Hours: T, W 2 pm - 4 pm or by appointment.
|Ph.D.||Educational Psychology and Statistics||University of Southern California||1987|
|M.Sc.||Biostatistics||California State University, Northridge||1979|
|B.Sc.||Biological Sciences||University of Southern California||1973|
* Successful Qualitative Research, SAGE, May 27, 2015
* Data Analysis with R in HPC, TACC, February 20, 2015
* XSEDE Supercomputer Training Conference, CSSB, Apr 2014
* STEM SoCAL PKAL Regional Conference, Cal Poly, Feb 2014
* AMS Short Course, Random Matrices, JMM, San Diego, 2013
* MAA Minicourse #6 Using randomization methods to build conceptual understanding of statistical inference
* MAA Minicourse #15 WeBWorK: An open source alternative for generating and delivering online homework problems
* SIAM Data Mining in Official Statistics Workshop, Anaheim, CA, April, 2012
* MAA PREP: SAGE Open-Source Mathematics Software with Undergraduates, 2011
* Consortium for Mathematics and Its Applications (COMAP) Statistical Modeling, 2010
* SCASA Categorical Data Analysis, 1998
* Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
* Survey of Mathematics
* Calculus I, II, III
* Introduction to Statistics
* Probability & Statistical Inference I & II
* Computational Statistics
* Discrete Mathematics
* Linear Algebra
* Modern Algebra
* Ordinary Differential Equations
* Numerical Analysis
* Number Theory and The History of Mathematics
* Mathematical Modeling
* Mathematical Education
* Child Evangelism
* Christian Education Curriculum and Methodology
Academic Areas & Scholarly Interests
* Mathematical Modeling
* Longitudinal, Multivariate and Log-linear data analysis in
behavioral, social and medical sciences
* Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology
* Computational Statistics and Programming
* University of Southern California
* California State University, Northridge
* The Master's College
* Fairview College, Jamaica
* Irpen Biblical Seminary – Irpen (Kiev), Ukraine
* Odessa Theological Seminary – Odessa, Ukraine
* Novosibirsk Biblical-Theological Seminary – Akademgorodok, Russia
* Shasta Bible College
* Institute of Creation Research
Research, Presentations, & Publications
Knisley, B., Crosby, G., Carothers, L and M. Barth. "Assessing Health Risk of Obesity in Native American Adolescents," IJPHS 4.2 (2015): 94-101. Print.
Carothers, L. " Bridge to Supercomputing " California Baptist University, 14 March 2015, High School Outreach Conference
Carothers, Linn "Salty Mathematics: Crossing Archimedes with A Salt Shaker " 2014 Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 7th,2014.
Barth, M., Wigginton,W., Stipeak, H., Crosby, G., Knisley, B. and L. Carothers. "Anthropometric indicators of obesity in Native American Adolescents and Exploratory Data Analysis" Joint Mathematical Meetings, Baltimore, Md Jan 15-18, 2014
Barth, M., Wigginton,W., Stipeak, H., Crosby, G., Knisley, B. and L. Carothers. "Anthropometric indicators of obesity in Native American Adolescents and Exploratory Data Analysis." MAA Southern California-Nevada Section Meeting, Oct. 12, 2013
Barth, M., Wigginton,W., Stipeak, H., Crosby, G., Knisley, B. and L. Carothers. "Anthropometric indicators of obesity in Native American Adolescents and Exploratory Data Analysis." World Congress in Food Science and Technology, Hangzhou, China., Sept. 23-25, 2013
Carothers, Linn. "Out of the Salt Shaker: Using the Salinon to Teach Calculus Modeling" 38th AMATYC Annual Conference, Jacksonville,FL, November 2012.
Carothers, Linn "Living above the Pain: Keys to Raising a Resilient Jabez” American Scientific Affiliation, 2012 ASA Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
Sands IV, C., Jin, S, Carothers, L and C. Sands III. "The Health Status of Taxi Drivers in Jilin, China " 2012 Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 7th,2012.
Carothers, Linn. "Original Thoughts: Thinking Through The Creation/Evolution Debate. " January, 2012.
Carothers, Linn "JustKIDS -- A 5-day Summer Neighborhood Outreach Program" December, 2011.
Carothers, Linn. " Fingerprints of The Creator", Address to The California Association of Baptist Churches Round Up, Victory Ranch, November 12, 2011
Carothers, Linn. " Run to Win" Sept 10, 2011 Newport Beach Camp Retreat
Carothers, Linn. " Living Like God's @ Work " June 20 - 25 — W.E.S.T. Week at Victory Ranch
Carothers, Linn. " How to Be Remembered " March 20th, 2011, Crest Ave Baptist
Carothers, Linn. " Three Words to Change Your World, Eph 4:32 " Mar 13th, 2011, Crest Ave Baptist Church
Carothers, Linn. " Three Marvelous Glories, John 17" April 3, 2011 Huntington Valley Baptist Church
Carothers, Linn. " The R Principle" January 30, 2011 Huntington Valley Baptist Church
Carothers, Linn. "Thinking about Odd Data: Statistics and The Return of Christ" Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Grace Baptist Church, Redding, CA. 24 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Thinking about The Origins Controversy" Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Millville Community Baptist Church, Millville, CA. 25 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Preparing Minds for Babylon U." Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Shasta Bible College, Redding, CA. 26 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Thinking that is APPROVED -- 2 Tim 2:15" Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Millville Community Baptist Church, Red Bluff, CA. 28 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Do Animals Talk? The Horse says Neigh" Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Shasta Community Church, Shasta, CA. 28 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Living The Dream -- Eph 3:20" Women's Retreat. Victory Ranch, Moreno Valley, CA. 12 March, 2010.
Heiss, C., S. Shaw, and L. Carothers. "Association of calcium intake and adiposity in postmenopausal women", Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 27(2008): 260-266, Print.
Heiss, C.J., S. Shaw and L.E. Carothers, "Association of Calcium Intake and Body Composition in Postmenopausal Women" Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 105.8(2005),40, Print.
Mednick, Brigette, Robert L. Baker and Linn E. Carothers "Patterns of family instability and crime: The association of timing of the family's disruption with subsequent adolescent and young adult criminality " Journal of Youth and Adolescence 19.3 (1990), 201-220, Print.
Baker, R., B. Mednick, and L. Carothers. "Association of Age, Gender, and Ethnicity with Juvenile Victimization in and Out of School" Youth & Society 20(1989): 320-341, Print.
Howe, George F.and Linn E. Carothers, "Postfire seedling reproduction of Adenostoma fasciculatum H. and A." Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences, 79.1(1980): 5-13, Print.
Cannell, David and Linn Carothers. "Permanent Waving: Utilization of the Post-Yield Slope as a Formulation Parameter" J. Soc.Cos. Chem., 29(1978), 685-701, Print.
Glauser, F. AF Wilson, L Carothers, J Higi, D White and J Davis. "Pulmonary parenchymal tissue volume measurements in graded degrees of pulmonary edema in dogs" Circ. Res. 36 (1975), 229-235, Print.
Church Membership & Activities
* Membership: Magnolia Avenue Baptist (SBC);
* Lecturer, Iglesia Bautista de Casa Blanca (SBC); Crest Avenue Baptist, Riverside(GARBC)
* President, Fairview Baptist Bible College, Jamaica
* Senior Pastor, Oak View Baptist
* Family Life Pastor, Grace Baptist Church, Santa Clarita, CA
* Director of International Training, Slavic Gospel Association, Loves Park, Ill.
* AWANA Missionary to Greater Los Angeles Area, AWANA Clubs, Chicago, Ill.
* Bible, Marriage, Men and Women's Retreat Speaker
* Children's Evangelist/ Christian Education Trainer for AWANA and CEF
Community Service & Involvement
Voting Poll Worker and Supervisor
Board of Directors, Victory Ranch, Moreno Valley, CA.
Interests & Hobbies
* Fly Fishing
* Gospel Magic
* Family ministry in America, Africa, Asia and most recently the Caribbean
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
- 2 Timothy 2:15, NASB
Three Questions for an approved life: 1) Is the Lord well-pleased, 2) Is the Labor well-done, and 3) Is the LOGOS (WORD) well-used?