Dr. Bonnie G. Metcalf School of Education


Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the program’s entry dates and application deadline?

The M.S. in Education with a PPS in School Counseling typically offers a rolling admission policy, and accepts students for the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters. Students may begin the program in any semester or term.

Students are strongly encouraged to have their application files, including all needed documentation, completed at least two to three weeks prior to the start of the semester.

2. What are the Prerequisites for Credential?

Pre-requisites vary according to the specialization.

3. What is the GPA/GRE requirement?

Candidates typically must have a minimum 3.0 GPA for unconditional admission, and a minimum 2.75 for conditional admission. Note: select programs have a higher minimum GPA requirement. Higher GPA requirements are specified within the degree requirements or available through the Graduate Admissions Office for more information.

4. How long does the program take?

This program can be completed in 2.5 years by taking 7 units in each of the Spring, Summer and Fall terms. Please contact the graduate program advisor at the Metcalf School of Education or attend a Graduate Program Information Session for more detailed program completion details.

5. Can I work full time while enrolled in the program?

Yes. However, students will be required to complete fieldwork during their course of studies.

6. When do classes meet?

Graduate courses at CBU are designed to accommodate the busy schedules of working adults. Most classes are offered Monday through Thursday evenings.

7. How do I get the Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential?

Once you have completed the required coursework and fieldwork, you must contact the CBU credential analyst at (951) 343-4268 and request the credential application. Return the application along with the necessary documents and payment to the analyst who will apply for your credential (you maybe not apply directly to the California Commission on Teaching Credentialing). You must also be recommended by CBU for the credential.

To follow up on the status of your credential, contact the CBU credential analyst at (951) 343-4268.

8. Is there financial assistance available specifically for education professionals?

Yes, a variety of financial assistance options are available for educators. For more information, please visit the TEACH California web site at