Disclaimer: Websites linked from this page are not maintained by California Baptist University.
- Book Sources
- Dictionaries: English and Foreign
- Bible Resources
- Fact Books and Almanacs
- Government Information and Statistics (U.S.)
- Government Information and Statistics (World)
- Grants, Scholarships, Financial Aid
- Online Reference Collections
- Online Subject Guides
- Google Books - Millions of online books. Some are available as full-text, some only have previews available.
- California Libraries Catalog (CalCat) - Gateway to California's libraries, public and academic.
- European Library - Gateway to the collections of European national libraries.
- Library and Archives of Canada - Access Canada's national library and archival collections.
- Library of Congress Online Catalog - The online catalog for the largest library in the world.
- WorldCat - Combined catalog with records from thousands of libraries around the world, with search results displayed in order of geographic proximity to the searcher.
- Baptist History Homepage - "A source for original Baptist documents." Includes a partial list of full-text Baptist books provided by Google Books.
- International Children's Digital Library - Digital versions of thousands of children's books from around the world, in 55 languages.
Dictionaries: English and Foreign
- Babel Fish Translation - A translation service covering several common modern languages.
- Oxford Dictionaries - The best open access English dictionary on the web.
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary - Online version of the popular desk dictionary.
- Oxford English Dictionary - The Oxford English Dictionary from Oxford University Press provides definitions, traces etymologies, offers pronunciation guides, and provides numerous quotations for over half a million words in the English language, past and present. Requires CBU ID.
- WordReference.com - Dictionaries and translation service for English, Spanish, French, Italian, German and several other languages.
- Visual Dictionary Online - A dictionary that connects terms with images, from Merriam-Webster.
- Your Dictionary.com - Dictionaries and other language resources covering hundreds of foreign languages.
- Encyclopedia Britannica - The online academic edition of the well-known general subject full-length encyclopedia. Requires CBU ID.
- Medline's Medical Encyclopedia - Articles about diseases, tests, symptoms, injuries, and surgeries from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institute of Health.
- BibleStudyTools.com - Includes over 30 translations, commentaries, and a digital interlinear Bible.
- BibleGateway.com - Dozens of translations in many different languages, as well as audio Bibles
- Tyndale Seminary Online Reading Rooms - Expertly crafted bibliographies on subjects within Biblical studies, the missional church, spiritual formation, theology, Christian ethics, and church history. Many links to full text resources are included. For others, see the library catalog.
Fact Books and Almanacs
- American FactFinder - U.S. population, housing, economic, and geographic data provided by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- CIA World Factbook - Detailed information about the nations of the world compiled by the Central Intelligence Agency.
- County and City Databooks - U.S. population, education, and economic data by county and city, from the Geostat Center at the University of Virginia.
- Old Farmer's Almanac - The online version of the classic almanac with information related to weather, calendars, food, and more.
- Statistical Abstract of the U.S. - Provides statistical summaries and charts related to the social, political, and economic organization of the U.S., as compiled by the U.S. Census Bureau.
Government Information and Statistics (U.S.)
- Congressional Biographical Directory - A guide to biographical information about members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, past and present.
- GPO Access - A service of the U.S. Government Printing Office that provides free electronic access to published information produced by all branches of the U.S. govenrment.
- State Agency Guides - Links to state government agencies.
- Supreme Court - The gateway to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Thomas - The public source for federal legislative information from the U.S. Congress, as gathered by the Library of Congress.
- U.S. Statistics - Provides access to the full range of official statistical information produced by the U.S. federal government.
- USA.Gov - Federal government information organized by topic.
- White House - The gateway to the White House.
Government Information and Statistics (World)
- International Law - Comprehensive guides to international legal issues from the American Society of International Law.
- Department of State - The U.S. State Department's guide to the nations of the world.
- European Union - Gateway to the European Union.
- The World Bank Data - Easy to use statistics and data sets based on World Development Indicators.
- United Nations - The official site of the U.N.
- World Statistical Agencies - Links to the official statistical agencies of nations around the world.
Grants, Scholarships, Financial Aid
- FAFSA on the Web - Gateway to the federal financial aid process.
- FinAid - A guide to financial aid for students.
- Financial Aid Planning - Information from U.S. News & World Report on financial planning for college.
- Foundation Center - Source of information about philanthropic organizations and foundations.
- Grantsmanship Center - Links for local funding sources.
- Grants and Contracts - Grant information from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Grants Web - Provides links to foundation, government, and private sources of funding.
- CIA Reference Maps - World maps by continent in PDF and JPG formats.
- Geographic Names Information System - Provides information on over 2 million U.S. geographic features and places, as described by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
- Google Maps - Get directions, view satellite images or view terrain features of places all over the world.
- Historical Maps - The David Rumsey Online Historical Maps Collection features more than 17,000 historical maps.
- Library of Congress Maps - Collections of contemporary and historical maps arranged by theme.
- National Atlas of the U.S. - Great source for a large variety of printable maps of places in the U.S. The site also allows users to create their own maps with features of their own choosing.
- Oddens' Bookmarks - A comprehensive guide to electronic map resources.
- Perry-Castaneda Map Collection - Online maps of the world with a contemporary focus, from the University of Texas.
- Historical Documents - Images of U.S. historical documents, including the Constitution, from the National Archives.
- NASA Photos - A digital image collection of over 9,000 photos related to the U.S. manned space program.
- Opinion Polls - Opinion polls from Gallup on current issues in American life.
- Periodic Table Live! - Web guide to the periodic table of elements. Or see this detailed, printable reference copy.
- Art and Architecture Thesaurus - A vocabulary of concepts, terms, and other information related to art, from the Getty.
- Artcyclopedia - A guide to art on the internet.
- Museum of Museums - Gathers links to online collections from a wide variety of museums scattered around the world.
- Smithsonian - Online gateway to the museums and research centers that together comprise the largest museum in the world.
- Timeline of Art History - From the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Online Reference Collections
- Internet Public Library - A large collection of online reference resources compiled by the University of Michigan and Drexel University.
- Librarians' Internet Index - Web site links listed by subject and vetted by a team of librarians for accuracy and reliability.
- Refdesk.com - Index to a large variety of Web-based resources.
- Virtual Reference Shelf - Library of Congress guide to online reference resources.