Public Safety Officer (Eligibility List)
“Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis “, for the purpose of establishing a list of qualified candidates for future vacancies.
Patrols university property ensures compliance with university policies, local, state, and federal laws and responds to emergency calls to protect persons or property from crimes or other hazards. May be assigned to any shift, which could include working holidays and weekends. A 40 hour/12 month position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Patrols university property, in a vehicle or on foot, to provide security and traffic control.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency radio calls.
- Provides assistance at scene of first aid incidence/accidents; also take and write incident/accident reports, including those of missing/stolen property and criminal activity.
- Assists with conducting accident and crime investigations, securing incident scenes, and preparing associated reports and documents.
- Provides escort services for visitors, students, staff, faculty, and individuals, provides public assistance
- Provides building security, including locking and unlocking doors.
- Writes and files daily activity report with superior officer.
- A valid California driver's license and a clean driving record.
- Must possess a valid California Department of Consumer Affairs Guard Registration Card at time of hire and maintain current registration as a condition of continued employment.
- All officers are assigned scheduled shift work as public safety is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the CBU campus community.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to work shift assignments as required by the department, which could include working holidays and weekends.
- Ability to conduct crime deterrence and prevention programs
- Skill in completing accident and criminal investigations.
- Skill in providing protection services to individuals on campus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, methods, and techniques in area of security function.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Skill in building security and lock procedures.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to make judgment calls on sensitive, confidential issues.
- A thorough knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic; general office methods, procedures and practices.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Excellent telephone courtesy knowledge and experience.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION/PERMITS: Must possess the following at time of hire and maintain certification and demonstrated proficiency as a condition of continued employment:
- Valid California Drivers License and satisfactory driving record.
- Current California guard registration card and baton permit issued by the California Department of Consumer Affairs.
- Current California O.C./Pepper spray certification issued by a licensed training facility.
- Certification of training in the proper use of handcuffs issued by a licensed training facility.
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED certification from American Red Cross or American Heart Association.