Head Athletic Trainer
Athletic Training Mission Statement: The objective of the Athletic Training Clinic is to provide the highest level of service to the student-athletes at California Baptist University. This includes the prevention, care, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries as well as helping to direct the nutritional, physiological, and psychological needs of the student-athlete. The care the Athletic Training Staff provides will be delivered with objectivity and a conscientious blend of concern for the healing of the athlete’s body, mind and spirit. A 40 hour, 12 month position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Understand and agree to abide by the mission of CBU and the CBU Athletics Department.
2. Serve on Athletics Department Leadership Team.
3. Administration of the sports medicine program for all 20 sports, including maintaining:
a. program budget;
b. maintaining program;
c. policies and procedures
4. Primary athletic trainer, including travel, for at least two sports; plus one non-travel sport and camp responsibility as well.
5. Ensure compliance with provisions of the applicable national collegiate athletic association, OSHA and HIPPA.
6. Maintain up-to-date information of rule changes and NCAA policies. Report any compliance issues regarding countable athletically related activities (CARA) or student-athlete welfare.
7. Adhere to all institutional, conference and NCAA by-laws and regulations.
8. Ensure the physical, emotional, and social welfare of student-athletes.
9. Establish and ensure a safe environment for student-athletes.
10. Serve as an Accredited Clinical Instructor for the entry level Graduate Athletic Training Education Program at California Baptist University.
11. A valid California Class “C” driver’s license is required; also a Class B, PV endorsement (limited to not more than 15 passengers).
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly supervises other staff Athletic Trainers, Graduate Assistants and Student Athletic Trainers in their work within the Athletic Training Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- Able to be a positive representative of the University at all times.
- Strong organizational skills and detailed oriented.
- Knowledge of standard budgeting and expenditure control procedures and documentation.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Ability to travel with teams and work weekends or other extended time away from home.
- Short and Long term planning skills
- Networking with other sports medicine professionals to enhance the California Baptist University Athletic Training Department
- Provide Community service on behalf of the Athletic Department and/or the Athletic Training Department
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; and five to six years related experience and/or training; Masters Degree preferred or in progress; or equivalent combination of education and experience; current BOC NATA certification.