Director of Alumni & Parent Relations (Institutional Advancement)
Under the direction of the Vice President and Assistant Vice President of Institutional Advancement, the Director of Alumni & Parent Relations is responsible for the planning, implementation of programs and projects that strategically engage alumni and parents with the university. Provide oversight for the Alumni Association, Parents Association, new chapter development and activities that promote beneficial relations with university constituents. This position works to significantly increase CBU’s external relations in support of the overall goals set by the Vice President and Assistant Vice President in the Institutional Advancement Strategic Operations Plan. A 40 hour, 12 month position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Build regional and national alumni chapters seeking ways to increase affinity and involve alumni and parents in the intellectual life of the university.
2. In coordination with other Institutional Advancement staff, oversee the planning for national and local special events including but not limited to Homecoming, Alumni Association sponsored events, Alumni Chapter events.
3. Work closely with the Alumni Association Board of Directors, arranging meetings, staffing committees and ensuring strong and productive relationships between its members and the academic and administrative leadership.
4. Coordinate and arrange administrative aspects of Alumni meetings including, but not limited to, preparation of agendas, minutes and action items, reservations, and preparation of facilities.
5. Promote campus activities as appropriate with Alumni and current students.
6. Create and oversee a relevant alumni association membership and parents program with desirable benefits designed to engage constituents with the university.
7. Develop, manage and monitor the components of the alumni and parents association budget that are related to the marketing, membership recruitment and retention activities, member benefits and programming.
8. Oversee the coordination of online communication to Alumni, as well as on a project specific basis.
9. Introducing current students to the opportunities afforded them as alumni of the university.
10. Enhancing career networking, affinity group, and admissions programming; and identifying other potential vehicles and activities for the engagement of alumni and parents.
11. Coordinate with the Marketing and Communications staff the Roundtable articles related to Alumni and handle all subscription support needs for the publication.
12. Maintain the Alumni Relations/Communications budget by tracking budget expenditures and processing requisitions in coordination with IA Administrative Assistant.
13. Responsible for the development of a work plan and reaching determined goals.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly supervises employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- A thorough knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic; general office methods, procedures and practices.
- Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Strong organizational skills and detailed oriented.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent telephone courtesy knowledge and experience.
- Ability to coordinate and organize meetings and/or special events.
- Knowledge of standard budgeting and expenditure control procedures and documentation.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.