Master of Arts in Leadership and Organizational Studies
Leadership is fine work, and those who desire it are to be commended. Unfortunately, exemplary leadership requires more than good intentions, especially now in the age of technological and social complexity and change. Providing effective leadership in these challenging and, at times, chaotic environments is difficult and often overwhelming.
According to leadership author, John Maxwell, “[you] can find smart, talented, successful people who are only able to go so far because of the limitations of their leadership.” The good news is leadership abilities can be learned and enhanced. CBU’s Master of Arts Degree in Leadership and Organizational Studies equips leaders with the vision necessary to make the right things happen the right way when it comes to optimizing institutional performance and outcomes.
The program will provide emerging leaders the opportunity to develop critical perspectives and skill to assume the formal and informal leadership roles in their profession and community.
Degree Requirements (30 units)
Semester I (6 units)
Theories & Foundations for Leadership Studies (3)
Organization & Institutional Theories (3)
Semester II (6 units)
Leadership Ethics, Virtues & Practices (3)
Leading & Managing Complexity (3)
Semester III (6 units)
Knowledge Management and Decision Making (3)
Group Dynamics and Staff Development (3)
Semester IV (6 units)
Social Capital (3)
Professional Interpersonal Communication (3)
Semester V (6 units)
Leadership Tactics (3)
- Application for admission with a $45 nonrefundable graduate application fee
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or evaluated equivalency
- Minimum GPA of 2.75. Options for overcoming low GPA are available.
- Official sealed transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Three letters of recommendation. Request recommendations using theÂ Graduate Recommendation Request Form (PDF versions available upon request).
- Comprehensive essay
- No prerequisites
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop ethical and competent leadership abilities and practices
- Develop strategies to build and leverage political and social capital
- Evaluate and implement models to bring about strategic and systemic change