Credential Program Admission Requirements and Screening Procedures
Admission into the Education Credentialing Program is a two-step process, beginning with admittance into the University. The second step involves meeting credential program specific requirements. In order to qualify for admission to the program, each candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of application for admission with graduate application fee.
- Official transcripts of all college coursework verifying completion of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university (some programs may accept the evaluated equivalency), with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (2.75 for conditional acceptance). The presentation of a minimum combined score of 300 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or passing score on CSET Exam to overcome a low grade point average.
- Three recommendations from professional sources who can address candidate's potential for success in education. Graduate Program Recommendation Form
- Prerequisites: Complete EDU 302 and choose one of the following: EDU300, EDU341/541, or ETC305/505, for a total of 6 pre-requisite units.
- Write a statement that includes your reasons for choosing teaching as a profession, your reasons for choosing to study at California Baptist University and why you are personally suited for teaching.
- Acceptance for admission by the director of the graduate program in education.
Candidates Seeking Acceptance Into the Credential Program:
A student who is admitted to the University is not automatically admitted to the Teacher Education Program. In addition to the above requirements, each candidate must complete the following:
- Certificate of Clearance (COC)
- Take the state-administered California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST).
- Show proof of registration in at least one sub-test of the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET)
- Complete written literacy sample in Academic Success Center
- Complete pre-requisite credential courses (will vary by credential, check with advisor)
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.75 on a four-point scale, which is documented by official transcripts.
- Have a satisfactory interview with an Education faculty member.