Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science
The Exercise Science program is designed to prepare students for careers in exercise and rehabilitation, as well as graduate work in physical therapy and other Allied Health areas. The curriculum also prepares students for relevant professional certifications from the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Strength and Conditioning Association.
Program Design and Career Opportunities
CBU's Exercise Science major will train students in exercise physiology, kinesiology, sports medicine, and fitness. This program will also prepare students for relevant certifications from professional associations like the American College of Sports Medicine and National Strength and Conditioning Association. Careers for exercise and fitness professionals are expected to grow significantly in the coming years. Exercise Science offers opportunities for students interested in becoming a Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Clinical Exercise Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist or other allied health professional.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively read, evaluate and utilize research related to exercise science.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the relationship between disease prevention and health promotion.
- Display effective professional communication skills.
- Demonstrate comprehension of personal wellness and holistic health concepts.
- Develop skills to collaborate and consult as a member of the healthcare team.
- Gain basic clinical skills for optimum patient and client care.
- Demonstrate the ability to create an accurate fitness prescription.
- Demonstrate an essential knowledge of movement anatomy and physiology, biomechanics, and motor skill refinement.
- Consider the unique characteristics and values of the individuals and approach assessment and treatment in a culturally sensitive manner
- Think critically as demonstrated by participation in evidence-based practice and research.
Please reference the 2014-2015 Degree Guide for Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science.
For course descriptions and course requirements from previous academic years, please reference the University Catalog, and select the catalog for the enrolled academic year.